Home » Practical Information » Health and Medical Concerns

Consular Report of Birth

A Singaporean birth certificate is required to process a foreign passport for your newborn. Below is an example of requirements from the US Embassy for US citizens. Each embassy will have its own requirements, but you may find them similar to those for the US Embassy.

US citizens must apply for the Consular Report of Birth Abroad from the US Embassy, which is equivalent to a US birth certificate. You can apply for both the Report of Birth Abroad, a social security number and passport at the same time.

Your child will obtain a Consular Report of Birth Abroad certificate and passport from the US Embassy in Singapore. The social security number will be mailed to your address in the US.

US Embassy, Singapore 27 Napa Road Singapore 258508
Office Hours: 8:30am to 12 pm; 2:00pm to 3:30pm Monday to Friday

A child born abroad of two American citizen parents, one of whom previously resided in the United States, becomes a citizen at birth. If only one parent was an American citizen at the time of the birth, the American citizen parent can transmit U.S. citizenship only if he or she can meet the physical presence requirement set by Immigration and Nationality law.

If the child was born on or after November 14, 1986, the citizen parent must have been physically present in the United States for a minimum of five years, at least two of which were after the age of fourteen, prior to the child's birth.

If the child was born on or after December 24, 1952, but before November 14, 1986, the citizen parent must have been physically present in the U.S. for a minimum of ten years at least five of which were after the age of fourteen, prior to the child's birth.

Periods of service in the U.S. Armed Forces and certain international organization outside the United States may be counted in computing such residence.

You can obtain an Application for a Consular Report of Birth from the US Embassy at the address listed. To establish your child's claim to citizenship please bring the application, supporting documents, and your child to the U.S. Embassy within the hours indicated above. If only one parent is a U.S. citizen that parent should make the application.

Please note that a consular officer may issue a consular report of birth for any child who is eligible for it upon application made at anytime before the child's 18th birthday. (The application for a consular report birth is to be executed only by a child's parent(s) or legal guardian(s). No other persons are authorized to apply on a child's behalf.) After that age, the child may be documented as an American citizen by applying for registration in his or her name. Forms and instructions for this procedures will be supplied upon request.

Supporting Documents for Consular Report of Birth

  1. Original copy of the child's local birth certificate, obtainable from the Registrar of Births and Deaths, 10 Kalling Road Singapore 208718.
  2. Original or certified true copy* of parents' marriage certificate.
  3. In the event that either or both parents were married previously, proof of termination of previous marriage or marriages must be presented, i.e. original or certified true copy* of death or divorce certificates.
  4. Passports of both parents.
  5. Form FS-579/SS-5. Please complete items 6 to 15 only. (Application for Consular Report of Birth Abroad). READ the instructions CAREFULLY *BEFORE* you fill out the form. The instructions are very specific on how you must fill out each box!
  6. Passport application for the child.
  7. Three photographs, full face of the child alone, 2" x 2", with whitebackground, in color or black-and-white. Polaroid photos are not acceptable. (full description attached).
  8. Fee of US $40 (or equivalent Singapore currency) for Consular Report of Birth Abroad, and US$40 for passport application, a total of US $80, or Singapore equivalent. The Embassy will accept cash in US or Singapore dollars. Personal checks are NOT accepted.
  9. Please bring along your child to the embassy at the time of the application.

Please allow up to four days for processing.

One copy of the Consular Report of Birth Abroad is forwarded to the Passport Office, Department of State, where it is filed permanently. It is not retained by the Embassy.

Copies will NOT be provided. Parents can obtain a certified copy from the following address:

Correspondence Branch Passport Services Department of State 111119th Street., N.W. Suite 510 Washington, D.C. 20522-1705

The fee of US $10 may be paid by check or money order made payable to the Passport Services and must accompany the request for the document. Parents should wait 6 months after the report of births is issued to apply for a certification to allow time for the report of birth to be filed at the Department.

Note: If you do not have certified true copy of these documents, please contact the consular section for addresses where they may be obtained, either in the U.S. or abroad.

Photograph Requirements for US Passports

Number: Three identical photographs are required.

Size: The size of the photographs should be 2 x 2 inches (5 x 5 centimeters). The image size measured from the bottom of the chin to the top of the head (including hair) must not be less than 1 inch nor more than 1-3/8inches.

Likeness: The photographs must be clear, front view, full face, and printed on thin paper with a white or off-white background. We welcome photographs which depict the applicant as relaxed and smiling; either black and white or color photographs are acceptable. The photographs must be recent (taken within the past six months) and be a good likeness of the applicant. They should be taken in normal street attire without a hat. The photographs must show the applicant in civilian clothing.

Quality: Photographs must be capable of withstanding a mounting temperature of up to 225 degrees Fahrenheit (107 degrees Celsius). Vending machine and Polaroid type prints available in Singapore and other photographs with a waxed back or other coating which lessens adhesiveness are NOT ACCEPTABLE.

See also Medical and Healthcare Services in Singapore.

If you have medical-related questions about living in Indonesia to ask of medical professionals, see Ask the Experts.

We trust this information will assist you in making correct choices regarding your health and welfare. However, it is not intended to be a substitute for personalized advice from your medical adviser.