Home » Practical Information » Legal Matters in Indonesia » Visas and Documentation

Visas and Documentation for Expats

Rami Formalities Services

This page is generously sponsored by Rami Formality Services


Indonesian Visas
eVisa Application - Procedures for COVID
VITAS - Temporary Stay Permit Visa
E-ITAS/ ITAS - Temporary Stay Permit/Card
ITAP/ITAS Extension from Abroad
ITAP - Permanent Stay Permit/Card
ITAP Seumur Hidup - Lifetime ITAP
Investor Visa
SITAS - Electronic Limited Stay Permit
Dinas - Diplomatic/Service Stay Permit
BVKS - Free Visa for Short Visit
Visit Visa - Social/Cultural Visit Visa
Business Visa
Retirement Visa
Calling Visa

Tourist & Visit Visas
Visa Free Entry
Visa on Arrival – VOA (Tourist, business, social, government)

Extension of VOA

Overstaying your Visa
General Information regarding visa applications

List of some official immigration fees

Indonesian Government Authorities you will interact with for all your documentation needs.

Indonesian Embassies & Consulates around the world

Other Documentation

RPTKA - Expatriate Placement Plan
IMTA - Work Permit
Working in Indonesia without a Work Permit (IMTA)
Exit / Re-Entry Permits
Exit Permit
Fiscal Tax
Airport Tax
STM. SKJ, SKCK - Police Documents
Registration at the Civil Registry
SKTT - Residence/Domicile Permit
Kartu Keluarga - Family Card
Carrying Original Documents or Photocopies?
Registering the Birth of a Child

Repatriation of cremated expat remains

No Charge for Immigration Folders/Forms

PowerPoint from South Jakarta Immigration office detailing the legal basis for their services - "Pelayanan Warga Asing"

Good article on Violations on Stay Permits of Visas - read what can happen!

Specific documentation issues for Expat/Indonesian - mixed marriages

Download the 2011 Immigration law - in Bahasa Indonesia
Unofficial translation of Chapter V in English

Visas during COVID Updates

The Indonesian government is now allowing tourists / flights into Bali from these countries with low COVID rates: Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates, New Zealand, Kuwait, Bahrain, Qatar, China, India, Japan, South Korea, Liechtenstein, Italy, France, Portugal, Spain, Sweden, Poland, Hungary and Norway. Proof of negative test 72 hours prior to arrival and 5-day quarantine at the visitors expenses in a Bali hotel are required. October 14, 2021.

All foreign visitors are required to:

  • Provide PROOF of FULL Vaccination for all foreign travelers (except diplomats), as well as proof of a negative PCR Swab Test within 72 hours of arrival, 5-day quarantine in a hotel at your expense and 2nd negative PCR test on day 4.
  • Submit a written declaration letter in English consenting to do a mandatory self-isolation or undertake a medical treatment and consenting to be monitored during the quarantine or self-isolation. Include statement of willingness to pay for all expenses during quarantine, comply with the prevailing laws and regulations, and willingness to be monitored by the local health authorities;
  • Provide proof of health insurance or travel insurance that covers the medical expenses of COVID-19 treatment ($100,000 coverage), or a statement of willingness to pay for all expenses that occur during the treatment of COVID in Indonesia.
  • Proof of pre-paid accommodation from an accommodation provider in Indonesia
  • Foreign travelers to Indonesia must also complete an E-HAC (Electronic Health Alert Card) using the online Peduli Lindungi Smartphone App.

  • Upon arrival at the airport a RT-PCR test will be administered at the traveler's expense and only those with negative results will be allowed to enter the country. On the evening of the 4th day of your mandatory 5-day quarantine inisde your room at the Indonesian government-designated hotels, a second PCR test will be administered. If you test positive, you'd be transferred to a quarantine facility and must cover the costs of that stay as well. If you test negative, you will be released from hotel quarantine on the 5th day.


The government has reopened online eVisa applications from outside the country for Visit visa B211A and Limited Stay Visas (Investor Kitas - C314, Working KITAS C312, Dependant Kitas C317, Retirement Kitas C319, etc.) See the Regulation - Kemenkumham No 34 Tahun 2021 - Indonesian | English September 25, 2021


The processes of obtaining proper documentation to live and work in Indonesia can seem like an endless maze of bureaucracy. New laws and regulations, lack of posted regulations, irregular application of existing regulations, vested interests and other matters complicate what one would hope could be a relatively smooth processing of paperwork for foreigners to live and work in Indonesia.

This review of the necessary documents should help to clarify some of the questions newcomers may have about the various documents required.


Passports for your family members are issued by a passport office from your own country. While your government may allow children to follow on their mother's passports, it is better to have separate passports for every family member, just in case separate travel is required.

In order to apply for an ITAS visa (semi-permanent stay permit) to Indonesia, your passport must be valid for:

If your passport is nearing expiration, we recommend you renew it to the maximum time allowable before you begin procedures to apply for an Indonesian work permit and visa. You do not want to have your sponsoring office go through all the paperwork of getting your visa and work permit, only to have to repeat the procedure after six months because your passport has expired.

Full Passports

What do you do if you get a new passport, but your visa or IMK/MERP is still valid and stamped in your old passport?

Your ITAP & IMK/MERP continue to be valid until their expiry date regardless of passport expiring or if you have a new passport issued because it had no more blank pages. Each issuing government may handle the full passport issue differently. The relevant consular officials may just staple in additional passport pages.

One Expat Forum poster also said that his Immigration officer just took off the Permit pages from the his/her old passport and annexed them to the new passport.

No charge for Immigration forms and folders

As per a Memorandum (Surat Edaran) signed on January 25th, 2013 by the Director General of Immigration, Bambang Irawan, SE, effective from February 4th 2013, the map (folder) including all immigration application forms (Paspor RI, Izin Tinggal, Izin Masuk Kembali,etc.) MUST be given FREE of charge by the immigration officers in all Immigration offices across the Indonesian archipelago.

The so called 'map' was charged for in the past, anything from a few thousand rupiah to up to IDR 25.000. Indonesian citizens and foreigners alike complained about this dubious charge. So, with the passing of the regulation in 2013, it is now officially forbidden for an Immigration officer to charge anything for the folder or the forms.

Download this letter and take it with you whenever you do immigration paperwork, to be sure you're not charged for forms and folders!

Working in Indonesia

RPTKA (Expatriate Placement Plan)

RPTKA stands for Rencana Penempatan Tenaga Kerja Asing, or Expatriate Placement (Hiring) Plan. It's step one towards getting a work permit, and subsequently a working visa (Index 312) based on that work permit.

The Indonesian government has strict guidelines on what foreign expertise is required for the development of the country. These guidelines determine who can be issued work permits. See Employing Expatriates for government regulations and other info.

National, multinational or joint venture firms must submit a manpower plan to Kemenakertrans (Article 42 Manpower Act number 13 year 2003, detailing their annual foreign labor requirements. Foreigners can only get a limited stay visa/permit and an ITAS card if they already have been issued an eVisa recommendation (from the Manpower Department if the company is a domestic company; or from BKPM/Investment Board Department if the employing company is a foreign investment company, a so-called PMA company).

Subsequent regulation - PerMen No.10 Year 2018, Article 9
(1) Employers who will employ TKA must have an RPTKA approved by the Minister or an appointed official.
(2) The term of RPTKA as referred to in paragraph (1) is in accordance with the work agreement or work contract.
TKA = foreign worker(s)

Typical documents required to obtain a RPTKA for a job position for expats:

The Manpower Dept office at Jl. Gatot Subroto in Jakarta receives all applications online - such as RPTK & IMTA Working permit, or Amendment of RPTK or Working Permit for review/processing by the Manpower Dept office. If a company applying has obtained an online queue number (barcode) after submitting the online application at the tka-online website. Each application will have to use the company's username, in which the date of the hardcopy application at the Manpower Dept office will be decided by the Authority.

For Foreign Investment companies who only have a “Principal Permit” (Initial permit) and do not yet have a Permanent License “IUT” (Izin Usaha Tetap) for job titles other than Directors or Commissary, the Manpower Dept office will only grant the work authorization for less than 6 months (this clause is as per the Manpower Dept regulation “Permenakertrans No. 12, Tahun 2013 pasal 12 (C)).



IMTA - Izin Mempekerjakan Tenaga Kerja Asing - Work Permit

Company sponsorship is required in order for a foreigner who wants to work in Indonesia to be issued a work permit/visa. This sponsorship is required BEFORE a semi-permanent visa and work permit can be processed. In other words, foreigners wishing to work in Indonesia can NOT get a work permit without getting a JOB first.

Once the RPTKA has been granted by the government, then the company that hires the expat needs to apply for a Work Permit - the IMTA. This is the only legal authorization given to a company to employ a foreigner. If expats working in Indonesia are not holding an IMTA, they are not working legally in Indonesia. After ensuring the necessary approvals are in place, a TA-01 is issued, and then a work permit, Izin Kerja Tenaga Asing (IKTA) is issued by the Manpower Ministry (Kementerian Tenaga Kerja or Kemenakertrans) after your arrival and the issuance of the ITAS card and have paid your annual DPKK.

If a company wants to employ foreigners, the company must submit the RPTKA (above) to the Manpower Department if the employing company is a domestic company or to the BKPM (Investment Coordinating Board if the company is a foreign investment company. In foreign investment/PMA companies, work permits for senior positions (such as Director held by foreigners are for three years and can be renewed just before expiration. (Note: Director's positions held by foreigners are only applicable for foreign investment/PMA companies). Other position slots in the RPTKA are only for one year and can be renewed annually, usually up to a fixed number of years.

Small Indonesian companies incorporated as a CV are not allowed to hire expats. So-called "medium-sized companies" are only allowed to hire two expats. In larger companies there is no limitation to the number of expats hired, as long as the ratio of 1 expat : 1 local expert as a counterpart is followed.

Step 1: RPTK (Expatriate Placement Plan) 

The Expatriate Placement Plan for Assignee should be applied for at the Ministry of Manpower.  It takes 7-10 working days to process this RPTK or 4 working days after the approved “Skype Expose”. The Skype “Expose Meeting” is held between a company representative and the Ministry of Manpower.

Step 2: Notification/Confirmation Letter on the Duration of Work Authorization

Upon the issuance of RPTK by the Ministry of Manpower, a Confirmation of the Duration of Work Authorization approval (request for Billing Code) should be applied for by the expatriate assignee. The confirmation letter will be issued by the Ministry of Manpower within 3-7 working days from the date of the request for the confirmation to the Ministry of Manpower.

Step 3: Payment of DPKK (Skill & Development Fund) Fee

Upon the issuance of the confirmation letter by the Ministry of Manpower, within 3 days the DPKK fee should be paid as per the confirmation letter. Companies employing foreigners are charged USD 100 per month (USD 1,200 per year) per expatriate employee to offset the costs of training Indonesian nationals.

Step 4: Upload proof of the DPKK Payment and your IMTA will be issued online

Step 5: E-Visa

Step 6: Upon entry into Indonesia, the E-Itas & IMK/MERP - Visa and Multiple Exit/Re-entry Permit will be applied at the local Immigration office in the area where the expat will be living.

Step 7: STM - Resort Police Report

Step 8. SKTT - Residence/Domicile Permit

Step 9: Laporan Keberadaan TKA (Lapada) issued by the Local Manpower Department - This document attests to the presence in Indonesia of the foreign worker according to the RPTKA plan.

For additional information, see Employing Expatriates in Indonesia.

The following documents must be presented by the employing company in order to apply for the Work Permit:


Visas for English-teaching positions require that the recipient must be a citizen of the US, UK, Australia, New Zealand, or Canada.


Relevant Regulation:

UU no.13 , year 2003 (Manpower Law)
Article 42
(1) Every employer that employs foreign worker is under an obligation to obtain written permission from the Manpower Department .
(2) An employer who is an individual person is prohibited from employing a foreign worker.

Article 185
(1) Every person who violates what is stipulated under subsection (1) and subsection (2) of Article 42, Article 68, subsection (2) of article 69, Article 80, Article 82, subsection (1) of Article 90, Article 139, Article 143, and subsection (4) and subsection (7) of Article 160 [B]shall be subjected to a criminal sanction[/B] in jail for a minimum of 1 (one) year and a maximum of 4 (four) years and/or a fine of a minimum of Rp100,000,000 (one hundred million rupiah) and a maximum of Rp400,000,000 (four hundred million rupiah).

DPKK - Dana Pengembangan Keahlian dan Keterampilan - Skill & Development Fund Fee

Companies employing foreigners are charged $100/month (US$ 1,200/year per expatriate employee to offset the costs of training Indonesian nationals. This tax is administered through the Manpower Ministry. Proof of payment of the Skill & Development Fund fee to the BNI '46 bank for one year in advance, amounting to US$1,200 (non refundable) is needed before a Work Permit can be approved.

For positions other than Directors, a foreigner's expertise must be proven, as government regulations limit the employment of foreigners in Indonesia to 'experts'; which can contribute to the national development. Due to the high unemployment rate of nationals, it must be proven that the expertise of a foreigner cannot actually be supplied by a national instead.

Manpower plans are only approved for one year. When a company's manpower plan is approved, a certain number of slots for positions held by foreigners are approved by Kemenakertrans. If a firm wants to add another foreigner to its staff, they must go back to Kemenakertrans and revise their manpower plan and wait several months for approval. It is not always easy for a firm in Indonesia to hire a foreigner and involves considerable expense and dealing with bureaucracy.

Deportation of foreigners for abusing their work permits is not uncommon. The usual offense is that the person is working in a position other than what is allowed by the work permit. If your work permit says you are the Production Director ... and your business card says you are the Managing Director - those are grounds for deportation due to abuse of work permit. Another problem is caused when the declared address of work on the IMTA differs from your actual work location. If it does not match, this could void the IMTA and put the employee at risk of a deportation. BEWARE and be cautious about what you put on your business card - make sure it agrees with your work permit!

One common misconception is that the IMTA belongs to the expatriate employee; actually they are issued to the company, NOT to the foreign worker. If a foreign worker loses his job, he is not entitled to work for any other company without processing a new IMTA, even if the previous IMTA still has validity. This very common misconception leads expats to think that they have a work permit - they don’t - the company has it!

A work permit issued for a foreigner does NOT entitle their spouse to work as well. A “dependent spouse” must obtain their own sponsor and work permit in order to work in Indonesia. This can be done, but depends on the demand for their expertise. Many working spouses find the transition difficult as they are used to working. There are, however, many opportunities for worthwhile and meaningful involvements in community and educational organizations and opportunities for everyone to hone new skills during their time in Indonesia.

If you want to keep your ITAP active, you must pay the DPKK.

For more information, see the Manpower Act of 2003.

Working in Indonesia without a Work Permit (IMTA)

Recently passed Immigration laws provide for more severe sanctions than earlier laws if a foreign citizen is caught working without proper visa and work permit. Don't risk five years in jail, get the proper documents before you start working in Indonesia! The wording of the new regulation:

Indonesian government regulations require that foreign workers to have a minimum of 5 years of specifically work experience. If offered a job in Indonesia, be sure the employer has provided a Work Permit & Work Visa, otherwise you would be working in an illegal situation with penalties of up to 5 years in jail and a fine of up to Rp 500 million.

Relevant regulations:

PerMen No.10 Year 2018, Article 5:
A foreign worker must:
a. have education diploma that is related to the qualifications required for the work position;
b. have a competency certificate or have work experience of at least 5 years related to the qualifications required for the work position;
c. transfer his/her expertise to a designated Indonesian worker;
d. have an Indonesian Tax Registration Number if to work for more than 6 months; and
e. have Work Visa/e-ITAS issued by the Indonesian Immigration Department .

UU No .6 , Year 2011, Article 122:

Shall be punished with imprisonment of up to five years and fined a maximum of Rp. 500.000.000:
a. any foreigner who deliberately misuse or engage in activities not in accordance with the intent and purpose his/her the Visa/Stay Permit/e-ITAS/KITAS ;

Article 123:
Shall be punished with imprisonment of five years and fined a maximum of Rp. 500.000.000,000:
a. any person who knowingly gives a letter or false or falsified data or untrue statement with intent of obtaining Visas or Stay Permit/e-ITAS for himself/herself or others;
b. any foreigner who deliberately use the Visa or Stay Permit/e-ITAS as referred to in letter a to enter and / or stay in Indonesia.

UU no.13 , Year 2003
Chapter VIII - Employment of Foreign Workers, Article 42
(1) Every employer that employs foreign worker is obligated to obtain written permission from the Minister (Work Permit folowed by Work Visa/KITAS/e-ITAS) .
(2) An employer who is an individual person is prohibited from employing a foreign worker.

Article 185
(1) Every person who violates what is stipulated under subsection (1) and subsection (2) of Article 42, Article 68, subsection (2) of article 69, Article 80, Article 82, subsection (1) of Article 90, Article 139, Article 143, and subsection (4) and subsection (7) of Article 160 shall be subjected to a criminal sanction in jail for a minimum of 1 (one) year and a maximum of 4 (four) years and/or a fine of a minimum of Rp100,000,000 (one hundred million rupiah) and a maximum of Rp400,000,000 (four hundred million rupiah).

The Indonesian government takes these offenses very seriously and if caught you will be detained until the fines can be paid.

Visas for Accompanying Family Members

Dependent members of the family (spouse/children) must wait until the index 312 visa has been issued for the working spouse before the company can apply for visas for the accompanying household members (index 317).

The order of paperwork application/issuance for those visas is:

    1. E-Visa
    2. E-Itas & IMK/MERP
    3. STM - Resort Police Report
    4. SKTT- Residence/Domicile Permit


Indonesian Visas

Updated Regulation on Indonesian Visas No. 26/2020 - September 29, 2020

To read the Indonesian government's description of the various visas, see Consular and Visa Services on the Foreign Ministry website.

Official Immigration and Visa Fees

Visa Fees (effective May 2019)

Visit Visas:
- Visa on Arrival (VOA) 1 month : USD50
- VOA extension - Rp 500,000
- Visa Kunjungan (Social/Cultural, Business) valid for 60 days: USD 50
- Visa Kunjungan extension - Rp 750,000
- Visa Kunjungan Beberapa kali Perjalanan (SosBud 12 months): USD 150
- Single Visit visa/business visa extension: Rp. 750,000 per extension, 30 days.

Temporary Stay - Visa Tinggal Terbatas (ITAS):
- 1 year: Rp. 1,500,000
- 2 years: Rp. 2,000,000
- one year renewal Rp. 1,500,000

Permanent Stay: Visa Tinggal Tetap (ITAP):
- ITAP fees

FULL LIST of Immigration fees - Peraturan Pemerintah nomor 45 tahun 2016

Payment of fees is made through a bank at the KanIm office, or through ATM. Bring your receipt when you process your paperwork.

If you keep all your papers in order and are up to date with all necessary document renewals and taxes/fees, and follow the proper procedures, then the posted price is what you will pay if you do the paperwork yourself (in person).

Service companies may charge you in between 3 to 10 times the official fees to cover their services. Considering the hassle of dealing with a new bureaucracy in a foreign language, this fee may be worth it. Long-timers who speak fluent Bahasa Indonesia may be able to (and choose to) handle the bureaucracy themselves.


Launched in October 2020, the Indonesian government is encouraging visa applicants to utilize its new online visa application process to apply for all visas (except for VOA & index 212-Multiple entry Business visa, which are still closed). Apply at visa-online.imigrasi.go.id There is a limit of 600 applications accepted each day. So if the quota is fulfilled the first day you try, try again the next day.

One caution is to be sure you have ALL of the documents you need when you make the application. We've received feedback from others that trying to submit additional documents after the first submission was problematic with the online interface.

Previously, the immigrant office would issue a "Telex Approval" of your visa and you had to go to an Indonesian embassy to get a sticker put in your passport reflecting the approval. With the change in procedures due to COVID, the Directorate General Immigration is now issuing an "e-Visa" instead. The eVisa will be emailed to you or your sponsor. Once your visa has been granted, you can travel to Indonesia.

Approximate processing time for online visa applications is 5-7 days. For more info, download 5 Things you Must Know about eVISA Indonesia.


VITAS - Temporary Stay Permit Visa (Visa Izin Tinggal Terbatas)

Once the eVisa has been approved, the VITAS must be applied for, for the working spouse and his dependent family, at the Indonesian Immigration office in the intended city of residence. Upon approval, the Indonesian Immigration office will issue the eVisa.

This eVisa permits your entry into Indonesia. Within 30 days of your arrival in Indonesia, you and your dependent family members must go to the Immigration office to report your arrival "lapor diri" and complete the necessary paperwork. Failure to do this will constitute a violation of your status, a legal hassle that can only be overcome through a visit to the courts and will incur large fines. So don't delay your initial trip to the Immigration office to report your arrival. At the immigration office, you will be called to take a full set of fingerprints and to sign various documents and provide at least four 2 x 3 cm color photographs.

Note - the V stands for Visa ...!

To summarize the VBS:


ITAS/ITAS or Temporary Stay Permit

Kartu Izin Tinggal Terbatas (Temporary Stay Permit Card)ITAS = Izin Tinggal Terbatas (Temporary Stay Permit). This is the immigration status/permit by itself. It is materialized by the stamp that the immigration offices stamps into your passport every year.

KITAS = Kartu Izin Tinggal Terbatas (Temporary Stay Permit Card). This is the yellow card that Imigrasi will give you after the ITAS has been granted.

E-ITAS - Electronic Izin Tinggal Terbatas

ITAS can be issued for a variety of reasons:

When all the paperwork on your e-visa is done, you will be issued a Limited Stay Permit - Izin Tinggal Terbatas, better known as an ITAS card for the working expatriate and each dependent for a one year period. The ITAS is the residency permit card which is issued by a KanIM in Indonesia, based on the e-ITAS Visa.

Documents which may be requested when you apply for an ITAS:

  1. Photocopy of RPTKA and IMTA (2x each)
  2. Fill out the three forms obtained at the immigration office
  3. Surat permohonan (sponsor letter) (2x)*
  4. Photocopy of the KTP of the sponsor (2x)
  5. Photocopy of *all* pages of the passport (2x) and original
  6. Photocopy of ITAS (2x) and original
  7. When receiving the new ITAS, paying the fee of Rp. 800,000 for which you will get a receipt. This is actually the only official fee to be paid. When I was asked to pay additional “administrative fees”, I always asked for a receipt, and if there was none, I did not pay and that did work very well.
  8. You may also be asked to pay Rp 55,000 for the photos/fingerprints.

ITAS Applications are now made Izin-tinggal-online feature on the immigration department's website, but you still need to go to the immigration office to make the payment and get the stamp in your passport. Instead of the plastic card, you print out the ITAS yourself.

You can upload needed documents through the website. If document upload errors occur, first make sure your document doesn't exceed the maximum allowable size. If that doesn't work, screen capture the page that shows the error and contact your immigration office to report the issue.

*You may be asked for proof of financial solvency to sponsor - as per PerMen No. 24/2016, which specifically states that a financial proof of USD1,500 is required = but it does not mention whether this proof has to be from the sponsor or from the foreigner.

Do-it-yourself guide for ITAS renewal for children

*Students with Parents: The Indonesian Ministry of Law and Human Rights, Directorate General of Immigration in early 2017 implemented a regulation which states that students turning 17 years old within the current school year must obtain their ITAS through their school’s sponsorship. Such students will no longer be eligible for a ITAS sponsored by their parents or their parent’s employer.

SITAS - Electronic Limited Stay Permit

In an attempt to simplify and streamline procedures at the Immigration office, ITAS Applications are now made online, but you still need to go to the immigration office to make the payment and get the stamp in your passport. Recent changes in regulation have resulted in the ITAS now no longer always being given in the form of a card. Instead of the plastic card, you print out the ITAS yourself.

You still need to go to the immigration office to: be interviewed, verify your data, complete your biometric recording, show your original passport, make the payment, and get the visa stamp in your passport, but the previous procedure has been

Download the infographic to learn more - SITAS Procedure

For more information, visit the Immigration website

ITAP - Permanent Stay Permit/Card

The ITAP (formerly KITAP when card was issued) is a permanent stay permit for foreigners living in Indonesia and is valid for five years. at the first renewal, you can apply for subsequent life-long extension. You will still need to report back to immigration every two years to renew your IMK/MERP, and every five years to review the status of your sponsor.

ITAP = Izin Tinggal Tetap (Permanent Stay Permit). This is the immigration status/permit by itself. It is evident by the stamp that the immigration office stamps into your passport. (Kartu Izin Tinggal Terbatas - Permanent Stay Permit Card - this was the card that immigration issued after the ITAP was granted.

There is no "direct to ITAP" option, all ITAP applicants must be holders of a ITAS visa first.

With the ITAP you will also be charged for a 2 year IMK/MERP, the official cost of which is Rp. 1,750,000.

Once you have been issued the ITAP, you will be able to get a five-year driver's license, and open bank accounts, credit cards and loans in Indonesia.

Who can apply for an ITAP?

Indonesian Law is, in fact, quite clear. But as in many cases in Indonesia, this is more a problem of getting the right text of law with all of its amendments to clearly understand who can apply for to an ITAP. Once you get the right context, everything becomes very clear and the only remaining difficulty is to explain the law to the ones who are supposed to know it: the Immigration officials. Once you get past the lower echelons, things are much smoother, because at the higher levels (i.e., KanWil or DitJen), they know the law regarding ITAP issuance.

ITAP can be issued to:

Concerning ITAP, here are the two main articles of Law No. 6 of 2011 on Immigration that govern this stay permit:

1. Pasal 54 / Article 54

(1) Izin Tinggal Tetap dapat diberikan kepada:

a. Orang Asing pemegang Izin Tinggal terbatas sebagai rohaniwan, pekerja, investor, dan lanjut usia;
b. keluarga karena perkawinan campuran;
c. suami, istri, dan/atau anak dari Orang Asing pemegang Izin Tinggal Tetap; dan
d. Orang Asing eks warga negara Indonesia dan eks subjek anak berkewarganegaraan ganda Republik Indonesia.

  1. A Permanent Residence Permit may be given to:
    1. a foreign national who holds a Temporary Residence Permit as a religious cleric/missionary, expatriate worker, investor, or retiree;
    2. a member of a mixed marriage family;
    3. the husband, wife, and/or child of a foreign national who holds a Permanent Residence Permit; and
    4. a foreign national who is a former Indonesian citizen or held dual citizenship of the Republic of Indonesia and another country.


2. Pasal 60 / Article 60

(1) Izin Tinggal Tetap bagi pemohon sebagaimana dimaksud dalam Pasal 54 ayat (1) huruf a diberikan setelah pemohon tinggal menetap selama 3 (tiga) tahun berturut-turut dan menandatangani Pernyataan Integrasi kepada Pemerintah Republik Indonesia.

For an applicant as intended in Article 54 paragraph (1) letter a, the Permanent Residence Permit is issued after the applicant has stayed for 3 (three) years consecutively and signed a Statement of Integration to the Government of the Republic of Indonesia.

Basically, Article 60 means that an ITAS can be transformed to an ITAP and that this transformation of status can be given after a demand of the foreigner with the condition that he/she has already stayed a minimum of three full successive years in Indonesia since the date that his/her ITAS has been issued.

Pasal 59 / Article 59 - regarding extensions

(1) A Permanent Residence Permit is issued for a period of 5 (five) years and may be extended for an unlimited period insofar as the permit has not been cancelled.(2)The holder of a Permanent Residence Permit for an unlimited period as intended in paragraph (1) must report to an Immigration Office every 5 (five) years and is not subject to a fee.

This is the article of law which lists the category of ITAS holder that could be entitled to be issued an ITAP. They are:

However, belonging to one of the above categories may not be enough. If you read point (3), it says that the change of status (from ITAS to ITAP) must consider the benefits that this foreigner brings to the nation in terms of national development and must consider the human aspects. This is for the very least highly subjective, and apart for the one belonging to the category it may well remain a demand without automatic approbation.

If your change of status is accepted, you will receive an ITAP which allows you to remain in Indonesia for five years - which may be worth all the paperwork hassles.

*definition of “retired” is given in Keputusan Menteri nomor M.04-IZ.01.02 Tahun 1998 tentang Pemberian Visa dan Izin Keimigrasian Bagi Wisatawan Lanjut Usia Mancanegara.

If you think you may qualify or be interested in an ITAP status someday, you might want to save all the documents you receive from the immigration office/s throughout the years, as they will help you to prepare your application.

New rates for ITAP-related expenses have been passed with PP No. 45/2016 and PP No. 28/2019 and its attachment listing the fees. These are the costs for ITAP:

According to the Immigration Law Pasal 59 ayat (2): Holders of ITAP with unlimited validity are obliged to report to the Immigration Office every 5 years and will not be charged when they report. So normally you will have to make only 2 payments for ITAP, i.e. Rp 3,000,000 (non electronic) or 3,200,000 (E-ITAP) and the cost of extension, i.e. 10,000,000 (non electronic) or 10,200,000 (E-ITAP).

Documents needed for ITAP application from a company:

- Pernyataan Integrasi letter - with Meterai (tax stamp)
- Company business registration and license
- Yearly Report of Employees (WLK)
- Company's Foreign Workers Employment Plan (RPTKA)
- DPKK funds - proof of payment for the first year's $1,200 fee
- Work permit (IMTA)
- Work permit for the foreign employee
- Deed and Ministerial Approval for the company
- Company Tax ID & Tax ID and KTP of Indonesian HR Manager

(for applicant):
- Original Passport and photocopy
- Photocopy of KTP WNA, ITAS, IMTA, or SKTT held in the last three years
- Marriage certificate (for spouse)
- Photocopy of Kartu Keluarga Warga Negara Asing
- Form Perdim 24 (request at Immigrantion office)
- Fform Perdim 27 (request at Immigrantion office )

Investor Visa

Investor visa (Index 313 or 314) is issued for shareholders in a foreign investment company where the minimum share invested is Rp 1 billion. The investor must be mentioned by name in the official documents. For Investor visas an RPTK application is not required. The steps and procedures for Investor visas are:

Step 1). Application for a recommendation letter from BKPM

Step 2). Upon issuance of the recommendation letter from BKPM, then we can apply e-Visa by on line issued by Directorate General Immigration office.

Step 3). Upon his entrance into Indonesia, then we can apply for Investor e-ITAS (for index 313 is valid for 12 months, while index 314 will be valid for 2 years).

Step 4). Upon the issuance of Investor E-Itas, then we can apply for STM/ Resort Police Report and SKTT (Surat Keterangan Domicile).


Lifetime ITAP

Some long term residents, especially those married to Indonesian citizens, may qualify for a Lifetime ITAP, referred to as a "ITAP Semur Hidup" or Permanent Stay Permit.

You will be required to report to immigration after five years on the Lifetime ITAP. Here are the requirements for the report, based on one person's experience.

Even though the visa is called a "Lifetime" visa, be aware that this Permanent Stay Permit can be cancelled for a number of reasons. if the Visa Holder:


*Note: ex-spouse can NOT sponsor a new ITAS/ITAP, you'll have to find a new Indonesia to become your sponsor for a new e-ItAS/KITAS/KITAP, as they all require an Indonesian sponsor.

Service Visa (Dinas)

Service Visas are given to foreign citizens bearing service passports, on assignment to Indonesia for diplomatic purposes. They are working in Indonesia under official government entities such as UN bodies, aid organizations, etc. Visa Dinas are directly handled by the Indonesian government department who employees the expats and they apply direct to the Foreign Ministry (Menlu) to process the visa. Private agents are not allowed to handle this type of visa.

Visa-Free Entry

There are now 169 countries that have the visa-free facility based on Presidential Regulation Number 21 of 2016 signed on 2 March 2016. Previously the visa-free facility was given to 45 countries in June 2015 then in September 2015 the number of countries was increased to 90.

The Presidential Regulation Number 21 of 2016 states that visa-free visits are for 30 days and cannot be extended or converted to another kind of permit.

Visa-free visitors can enter and leave Indonesia through 124 Immigration posts on land, sea and air.

Foreigners with visa-free entry can carry out activities for tourism, family visits, social purposes, art and culture, government duties, to give talks and seminars, join international exhibitions, attend meetings in central or regional offices in Indonesia, and in transit to other countries.

If 30 days is not enough, note that Visa-Free period CANNOT be extended or converted into any other type of visa. If you want to stay longer than 30 days, you need a VISA ON ARRIVAL - VOA (only available upon your arrival). or a Visit Visa. BE AWARE of this extension limitation before you make your travel plans!

With the 2016 regulation, the government intended to iron out a lot of the difficulties previously experienced when entry and exit were only through 9 ports, and where the purpose was only for tourism. They have also made it the same for all 169 countries including the original 15 countries that previously had more privileges than the later 75.

Passports must be valid for a minimum of six months from the date of arrival. Onward or return tickets must be shown on arrival. Additionally, APAC cardholders may be entitled to a free visa on arrival under the terms of their scheme.

CAUTION: carefully check the visa stamped in your passport to make sure that those who do pay the $35 receive the extendable VOA and not the free but non-extendable visa.

Please be sure to inform your arriving guests about the differences between the VOA and Visa-Free Entry, so that they don't inadvertently end up with the incorrect visa, impacting their ability to extend their VOA!

In case of overstaying a visa, a penalty of Rp 300,000 per day will be incurred.

There is no cost for the Visa-Free Entry.

List of countries awarded visa-free privileges to enter Indonesia for 30 days:

Albania, Algeria, Andorra, Angola, Antigua and Barbuda, Argentina, Armenia, Australia, Austria, Azerbaijan, Bahamas, Bahrain, Bangladesh, Barbados, Belarus, Belgium, Belize, Benin, Bhutan, Bolivia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Botswana, Brazil, Brunei Darussalam, Bulgaria, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cambodia, Canada, Cape Verde, Chad, Chili, China, Comoros, Costa Rica, Croatia, Cuba, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Dominica, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, Egypt, El Salvador, Estonia, Fiji, Finland, France, Gabon, Gambia, Georgia, Germany, Ghana, Greece, Grenada, Guatemala, Guyana, Haiti, Honduras, Hong Kong, Hungary, Iceland, India, Ireland, Italy, Ivory Coast, Jamaica, Japan, Jordan, Kazakhstan, Kenya, Kiribati, Kuwait, Kyrgyzstan, Laos, Latvia, Lebanon, Lesotho, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Macao, Madagascar, Macedonia, Maldives, Malawi, Malaysia, Mali, Malta, Marshall Islands, Mauritania, Mauritius, Mexico, Moldova, Monaco, Mongolia, Morocco, Mozambique, Myanmar, Namibia, Nauru, Nepal, New Zealand, Nicaragua, Norway, Oman, Palau, Palestine, Panama, Papua New Guinea, Paraguay, Peru, Poland, Portugal, Puerto Rico, Qatar, Romania, Russia, Rwanda, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent and Grenada, Samoa, San Marino, Sao Tome and Principe, Saudi Arabia, Senegal, Serbia, Seychelles, Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, Solomon Islands, South Africa, South Korea, Spain, Sri Lanka, Suriname, Swaziland, Sweden, Switzerland, Taiwan, Tajikistan, Tanzania, Thailand, The Netherlands, The Philippines, The Vatican, Timor Leste, Togo, Tonga, Trinidad and Tobago, Tunisia, Turkey, Turkmenistan, Tuvalu, Uganda, Ukraine, United Arab Emirates, United Kingdom, United States of America, Uruguay, Uzbekistan, Vanuatu, Venezuela, Vietnam, Zambia, Zimbabwe. (see official country list)

Visa on Arrival - VOA (Izin Kunjungan Saat Kedatangan)

The Visa on Arrival is for persons who are visiting Indonesia for a short period (30-60 days) as a tourist, for business, or to attend a conference or meeting. This visa is NOT for expatriates intending to work and live for an extended period of time. The VOA is a single entry visa; it terminates when you leave the country and you must get a new VOA on your next visit.

Remember that both the date of arrival and the date of departure will count as one day each in the 30 day stay limit. The date of arrival in Indonesia is counted as day one of the permitted stay and the date of departure is also counted as a full day even if the flight leaves just after midnight. Overstaying a visa is a punishable offense and you WILL incur a fine Rp 300,000 for each day you overstay.

To emphasize, we will repeat - no employment of any kind, paid or unpaid, is allowed on a VOA or visit visa!

Once the visa is issued, you have 3 months (90 days) to use it to enter Indonesia. Once you arrive, it's good for 30/60 days (see what's stamped in your passport!). If you want to extend from 30 to the 60 days, start the process at least 7-10 days before it expires.

On some Garuda Indonesia medium-long haul flights, there is an “Immigration Onboard” program through which an Indonesian immigration officer will process your Visa on Arrival before you leave the departure airport. At the time you arrive in Jakarta, you can skip the Visa on Arrival counter and head straight to Immigration counter. In these cases, the Visa on Arrival is payable in local currency at the departure airport (e.g. for flights departing from Sydney, you can pay with AUD instead of USD).

Pay-for-visa-on-arrival (VOA) is open for citizens from the above mentioned countries (see visa-free section) who wish to stay in Indonesia for 30 OR 60 days.

The cost of the VOA is US$35/person for each 30-day visa (PP No. 45/2016). A seven day short-stay visa for US$15 is available at certain entry points in the Riau Islands. The fee must be paid in cash in US dollars; no credit cards are accepted for visa fees on arrival at the airport. It is recommended that travelers have the exact US dollars cash as not all entry points have full bank facilities available. Any change due will be converted into Indonesian Rupiah before being paid to you.

Visitors applying for the Visa-On-Arrival will have to go to a special counter to have their passports stamped with the Visa On Arrival before going to the immigration clearance desk. Visa purchasing takes 15-30 minutes per applicant, depending on the number of persons applying. Payment counters, a bank counter, and a money changer have been set up to process payments. Passport must be valid for at least six months from the date of arrival. An onward or return trip ticket must be shown on arrival.

CAUTION: Visitors are advised to carefully check the visa stamped in their passport to make sure that those who do pay the US$35 receive the extendable Visa on Arrival and not the free but non-extendable visa.

Visa-Free Entry and Visa On Arrival are available at airports, seaports and the land border crossings throughout Indonesia - full list of entry points.

  • Visitors from other countries not mentioned above must apply for a visa in the nearest Indonesian embassy or consulate in their home country before coming to Indonesia.

Read more information about Airport Arrival and Departure Information for Jakarta's International Airport

Extension of paid Visa On Arrival (VOA)

Article Peraturan Pemerintah Nomor 28 Tahun 2019 states that one can submit an extension request as early as 14 days but not later than the last day before the Visa expires. One can extend the VOA for an additional 30 days at any "Kantor Imigrasi" (immigration office) in Indonesia. If you do it yourself, it will cost you Rp 500,000.

To extend your Visa on Arrival requires several visits to the immigration office (3 visits over 5+ days) to process the extension. The extension application requires:

Note: Only ONE extension is allowed for a VOA. If you want to stay longer (than the 2nd 30-day period), you will have to leave the country and then re-enter on a new VOA.

The process:

1st Visit - About 7-10 days before the original VOA expires, go to the Visa Kunjungan counter at the nearest Kantor Imigrasi with your sponsor and pick up 2 forms and a folder (Forms and folder should be free). If you have all needed documents and photocopies (see above) and your sponsor with you, it will save a trip as you can fill out the forms, and sign and submit them at the same time. Be prepared to wait if you want to accomplish all of this in the first visit. You will then receive a receipt and be advised when to return to the office.

Note: Depending on the immigration office policy, if you have all of the required documents and photocopies and your sponsor with you, you may be digitally photographed and fingerprinted and pay the 355,000 Rupiah during the first visit. If so you will then receive a receipt that you will bring with you when you return to pick up your passport on a day directed by the office, usually in 2 to 3 days.

2nd Visit - If you completed all of the VOA Extension requirements during your first visit, return to the immigration office on the designated day and present the receipt and pick up your passport with your new visa.

If you were not digitally photographed and fingerprinted and had not paid the 355,000 Rupiah fee on the first visit, this will be accomplished on the second visit. When you go back to present your receipt from visit 1 and pay the Rp 355,000 Rupiah fee and the immigration office will then take your digital photo and fingerprints (in one extension process only). You will then receive a receipt for your payment detailing what it was for. If you want to wait, you can return to the visa kunjungan counter and give them the copy of the slip and wait for the passport. Note: The local immigration office may advise you to pick up your passport with the new visa the next day.

3rd Visit - If necessary, the next day you go back to pick up your passport and new visa.*

The need for a local sponsor, and the multiple trips to the immigration office, is a reason why many people choose to use agents, but it isn't necessary as one can take care of the process themselves.

Sample Sponsor/Extension Letter - is not needed if your sponsor accompanies you.

*Note, several community members actually were able to complete the process above in 2 visits because they came with all documents in hand and their sponsor during the first visit.

Multiple Successive VOA

Some foreigners choose to come/stay in Indonesia on a series of multiple VOA. All of the above provision apply as to cost/length of stay. Once you leave Indonesia, you are allowed to return - even the same day - on a different/new VOA. However, if you do this too many times over successive months, the immigration official may ask you questions about why you keep coming in as a tourist due to suspicions about your motives and therefore may deny you entry.

Look instead, at the Visit Visa option.

Other Citizens

Citizens of other countries not on the visa on arrival or visa free lists will be required to apply for a visa overseas - in their home country - before entering Indonesia. Citizens of any country wishing to stay more than 30 days must also apply for an appropriate visa (cultural visit or business visit) at their nearest Indonesian Embassy or Consulate before traveling to Indonesia.

Tour agents are able to arrange express handling for groups at no additional charge by presenting the completed immigration cards, passports and applicable visa fee. Passengers who overstay their visa period for a short period of time can be processed immediately at the airport by paying Rp 200,000 for every day they overstayed their 30-day visa (as per PP 38/2009). Airlines that experience technical difficulties or delayed flights can apply for their passengers to be exempted from paying any overstay penalties.

To avoid the long wait at airports to apply for a visa on arrival, and if you want to stay for 60 days, you must apply for a visit visa at the Indonesian consular office in your home country. The consular office at Indonesian embassies (outside of Indonesia) can issue a 60-day visit visa.

Note: A tourist VOA on arrival cannot be transformed in a Visit visa, or a semi-permanent stay visa, or any other form of visa.

A tip: "Beware of the 30-day counting trap! The way the immigration officials count the 30-day period is: you arrive on the 1st day with, for instance, get a 30-day visa, and you must leave on the 30th day (not the 31st or the first of the next month, as you might think). This is actually their policy for how to count the days. After getting burned once and learning my lesson, I see their point and follow their definition of 30 days."

If you want to stay in Indonesia LONGER than 60 days, you must leave the country and re-enter on a new VOA/visit visa. People commonly fly to Singapore or Timor for this. There is no stipulation on the time you must stay outside Indonesia, in fact, you can return the same day if you want and be issued a new visa upon your arrival in Indonesia.

Visit Visa (Visa Kunjungan)

See Covid restrictions.

Persons coming to Indonesia for short term stays (longer than 60 days allowed on VOA), not as tourists and not for working, should apply for another category of visa - the Visa Kunjungan (Visit Visa) at an Indonesian consular office overseas. B211 is the index for a Visit Visa (non-working purpose).

The single entry Visit Visa can be used for:

See Regulation of Minister of Law and Human Rights No. 26, 2020 - Visas and Stay Permits in the New Normal (29 Sept 2020)

(3) To obtain a Visa Approval from the Director-General of Immigration as referred to in section (2), a Sponsor must make an online application ... presenting:
a. a health certificate in English ...
b. a declaration letter in English consented to do a mandatory self-isolation or undertake a medical treatment ...
c. a consent letter to be monitored during the quarantine or self-isolation ...
d. health insurance or travel insurance ...

(4) Visitor Visa applicant as referred to in Article 4, and in addition to requirements as referred to in Article 6 section (3), a Sponsor must demonstrate that they have sufficient funds of at least US$10,000 to support their living expenses during stay in Indonesia. (Financial proof provided by local sponsor or by visa recipient's overseas bank account balances.)

A letter of invitation/sponsorship from a sponsor in Indonesia is required. This can be an Indonesian citizen or a foreigner with a Temporary (ITAS) or Permanent (ITAP) Resident permit. You should also have a photocopy of the sponsor's ID card (KTP or ITAS /ITAP) to present along with the letter.

The letter of invitation/sponsorship must include:

You may have to include a bank statement (overseas bank for foreign guest or Indonesian bank if sponsors guarantee) to guarantee availability of funds for covering living expenses. They may also have to provide proof of return or onward ticket (onward ticket to any destination booked for a date no later than 6 months after your date of entry into Indonesia for the maximum stay of the sosbud. An onward ticket means any plane, boat or bus ticket for any destination outside Indonesia.

So, in list form, you need:

- a letter of sponsor which invites to stay in Indonesia (see above bulleted list for contents of letter).
- a photocopy of the Indonesian sponsor's KTP/paspor RI or a copy of the expat sponsor's ITAS and passport.
- a copy of your airline ticket (return trip)
- your passport
- a couple of pictures
- fill out the form that the Indonesian Embassy will provide to you
- pay the visa fee (60 days: USD 50 or multiple entry for 12 months USD 110)

If, after 60 days, the guests want to stay longer, you will have to apply for a visa extension for them. Be careful, as you must apply for the extension in the same wilayah (district) as the address stated by your sponsor's KTP (Identity card). This means that if the KTP of your sponsor has been issued in Makassar, you must apply for all extensions in Makassar and are not allowed to apply for an extension in Bali.

PP no. 31, Year 2013 Article 136 defines extensions of Visit Visas:

(1) Visit Stay Permit for single entry Visit Visa holder and multiple entry Visit Visa holder shall be granted for the maximum period 60 (sixty) days from the date when the Entry Stamp is provided.

(2) Visit Stay Permit for single entry Visit Visa holder as contemplated in clause (1) may be extended for four (4) times maximum and each extension for up to 30 (thirty) days. After 4 renewals, you will need to apply for a new Visit visa online.

Visa extensions are granted for 30 days each. You can extend your sosial budaya visa up to 4 times for a total maximum stay of 180 days. Go in person for the first extension, subsequent extensions can be done by an agent, if you choose. The two first extensions will be granted by the Kantor Imigrasi, while the two last will require a prior approval from the Kantor Wilayah before issuance by the Kantor Imigrasi. Each extension has a legal fee of Rp 250.000. They may ask you to buy the forms for anything between Rp 10,000 to 30,000. Though this last fee has no legal basis, it is customary.

Extensions are not guaranteed. You can only submit a “permohonan” (request). However, if you do follow the procedures carefully, you will minimize the chance of a refusal. If they decide to refuse it, ask your sponsor to request a Surat Keterangan Penolakan remitted to him, stating the reasons why the immigration department refused the extension. This is the law; they must list the reasons why they refused you the extension. If they do refuse, go with your sponsor to the Kantor Wilayah and ask to talk to the Kepala Divisi Keimigrasian. If you have initiated the procedure of the extension no later than 7 days before the expiration of your visa, if you have submitted all of the requested documents, if you don't do anything illegal (working), if you have submitted a copy of your onward ticket, and if you have proven that you or your sponsor have enough money to pay for your expenses, the Imigrasi usually won't risk your sponsor filling a complaint to the Kantor Wilayah (district office).

Regulations necessitate a 3-working day processing for these visas in Singapore, Bangkok, or your home country ... but from some reports, this process only takes ONE working day in Kuala Lumpur. Wherever you choose to process the application, be sure to allow the correct amount of time.

Some expats have reported to us that 'facilitating agencies' can in fact still process visas in one working day in Singapore, and that the staff in the Consular section at the Singapore embassy can refer you to these companies. Of course, the fees are significantly higher than the usual method.

Important Note: While some cultural and education activities are covered by this class of visa, paid employment for any Indonesian legal entity is not allowed to holders of this class of visa, Sosial Budaya. You can be in Indonesia on a variety of visas, but you cannot legally work on a Visit visa - even if your employer is processing your IMTA. You cannot work legally while waiting for the work permit unless the government issues a special permit to allow you to work on a non-work visa.

SAVE money ... on visa runs through Batam

Sample Letter to request a Visit visa (for expat spouse of an Indonesian)

Sample Letter to ask for an extension to a Visit visa

5 Year Visit Visas for Former Indonesian Citizens

Five-year visit visas are available for anyone except diplomats and people in government service. These Multiple Entry Visit Visas are valid for 5 years from the date of issue, according to a new Government Regulation. This Government Regulation was signed on 27 June 2016 by President Jokowi as PP Number 26 Year 2016 Concerning Alteration to PP Number 31/2013 Concerning Regulation for the Implementation of Law Number 6/2011 Concerning Immigration.

Stay permits for holders of multiple entry visit visas cannot be extended with the exception of ex-Indonesian citizens and their families.

Ex-Indonesian citizens (who are now citizens of other countries) and their family members, can not only get a multiple-entry visas which is valid for five years, but with this visa they can extend their stay permits twice, each time for 60 days, resulting in a total stay of 6 months in Indonesia (if they choose to do the allowed 2 extensions). Family members are designated as legal spouse and children of ex-Indonesian citizens who are under the age of 18 and not yet married.

People who are not ex-Indonesian citizens who hold a multiple entry visit visas cannot extend their stay permit at all.  People who are not ex-Indonesian citizens who hold a single entry visit visa can extend their stay permit 4 times for 30 days each time making a total of 6 months.

Business Visa

All persons coming to Indonesia for business purposes (as opposed to just a short term tourist or study trip) for a period to exceed 60-days are required to obtain a business visa.

A business visa does not allow a foreigner to work or be gainfully employed in Indonesia, but only to conduct business negotiations, short term work assignments or training assignments. If you plan to work in Indonesia for a period of time, you must have an ITAS and a proper IMTA.

A single entry business visa can be extended two times after a one-month stay (one month for each extension). If you have a multiple entry business visa (MBV), after a 60-day stay the visa can be extended four times (one month for each extension). You can enter Indonesia as many times as you want in a one year period on the multiple entry business visa, as long as you don't stay more than 60 days on each visit.

If you enter on a multiple-entry business visa, you are not required to get an exit permit each time you leave.

Please be aware, however, that there may be Indonesian income tax obligations if you are in Indonesia on a business visa for more than 6 months in one year.

If you plan to temporarily work in Indonesia for a few months, you must apply for a temporary working visa index 457. Your sponsoring/employing company can apply for it at the Indonesian Immigration office in Jakarta. Upon entry into Indonesia with a temporary working visa index 457, you will get a 60-day visa stamped in your passport at the Indonesian Immigration airport. Within a few days after your arrival, you will have to apply for a temporary working permit at the Manpower Department, but you must first pay the DPKK fee or Skill and Development Fund fee of USD200 to cover your 60 day working period (USD100/month).

Online application for 212 business multi entry visa - The procedure now requires both the applicant and the sponsor (separately, with different logins and passwords) to fill out online applications and submit documentation. The applicant can't just submit a sponsor letter his/herself as in the past. In addition you have to go in person to Jakarta to get a hard copy of a permission letter that is required to retrieve your visa from your chosen embassy abroad. Without that letter you can't get your visa. It won't be emailed to you.

For in person renewal, some offices require that the sponsor be present, as well as the applicant and don't allow visa agents to apply for the renewal. The sponsor will need to bring his/her KTP. Some offices require the sponsor to have a local KTP (not from a different province/island).

Since it is impossible to speak to a live human being anymore at the immigration office, it's important to get the process right.

One person's experience: Its taken me over 9 months to finally get my visa renewed because my sponsoring company mis-entered information and in my attempts to correct my application I had multiple applications on file. They froze me out for suspicious activity but I was never able to speak to anyone to explain my situation. No one answers their phone help line and no one would speak to me in person at the immigration office. Finally the university international office intervened and after a couple of bribes, new letters, and several visits in person on their part resulted in unfreezing my application. Most people won't have access to this special intervention, however, so detailed information about the process is important for new expats and those renewing and unaware of the online system. The consequences of making a mistake in the online system can mess you up without recourse for fixing it.

Overstaying your Visa

Overstaying any type of visa is a serious offense if you have overstayed more than 60 days. If your overstay is less than 60 days, you will be fined Rp 200,000/day for every day you overstayed your visa and then deported once you have paid the fine. The maximum fine for overstaying a visa is Rp 25 million and 5 years in jail. If you inadvertently overstay, go IMMEDIATELY to the immigration officer at the airport once you realize it and explain the circumstances. Delaying the report will only make the situation worse.

There are only a few legitimate reasons for overstaying your visa - the main one being that you were ill and in the hospital or unable to travel. Once you realize you will not be able to leave before your visa expires, ask a friend to officially report your illness in writing to the local immigration office so that you officially acknowledge that you have overstayed your legal stay limit. This will lessen the monetary penalties. Don't wait until the immigration catches you!

For lots more advice on this subject see Overstaying Your Visa

Repeated Short-term Visas Necessitate Leaving the Country to get a New Visa

Choosing short term visas for a temporary measure while an ITAS is being sought is quite common. The Indonesian government does not approve of people working on these visas, yet they continue to grant them to people who repeatedly come back to Indonesia after a short trip outside the country. Another option to consider is a multiple-entry business visa. This requires zero trips to local Immigration office for an entire year, but you do need to go to Singapore every two months and then re-enter Indonesia.

Feedback from some visitors to this site that have been in this situation:

“According to Indonesian consular officials, it's perfectly legal to come to Indonesia on a 60-day VOA, leave before the end of the sixty days, flying out of Indonesia, then returning on a new 60-day VOA. There is no need to pay bribes or any other fees upon arrival in Indonesia.”

Some immigration officers may suspect that you are working in Indonesia without a permit. They just wonder how you finance your living costs (extended holidays after having returned for the x-th time to Indonesia. That's why they might ask you some questions. Some officers might go further and try to put you in an embarrassing situation in order to extract bribes from you, or simply asking for some money. It's a psychological game. There is no general answer on how to deal with each kind of such situations. The best results come from staying polite and taking in easy.

Retirement Visa

Calling Visa

New policy - as of July 2016

A calling visa is a requirement for some nationalities prior to entering Indonesia using another visa, i.e., VOA or Tourist visa.

Passport holders from the following countries must obtain reference from the Directorate General of Immigration in Jakarta before applying for an Indonesian visa:

  1. Afghanistan
  2. Guinea
  3. Israel
  4. North Korea
  5. Cameroon
  6. Liberia
  7. Niger
  8. Nigeria
  9. Pakistan
  10. Somalia

Representative offices of the Republic of Indonesia may issue a visa with their own power (without the approval of the Director General of Immigration) for citizens of Calling Visa countries who have a permanent residency card in a country outside their home country, for participating in:

these visas can be issued if:


  1. Provide the requirements stated above.
  2. Attend an initial interview.
  3. Within a week, the embassy will issue a reference number for the applicants and sponsor.
  4. The sponsor will need to get an approval letter from the Directorate General of Immigration in Jakarta.
  5. Once you receive the approval Letter, you may process the visa at the Embassy of the Republic of Indonesia and pay the required telex fee.

See also: Peraturan Menteri Hukum dan Hak Asasi Manusia Republik Indonesia Nomor M.HH-01.GR.01.06 Tahun 2013 tentang Tata Cara Penetapan Negara Calling visa dan Pemberian Visa bagi Warga Negara dari Negara Calling

Other Important Documents

Exit / Re-Entry Permits - IMK/MERP

Single exit/entry permits are no longer issued, only Multiple Exit/Reentry Permits (IMK/MERP).

Whenever a foreigner holding an ITAS or ITAP wants to leave Indonesia for a short period, they are required to apply for an exit/re-entry permit from the immigration office, if they don't already have one. The permit is stamped into your passport.

A multiple exit/re-entry permit allows you to leave and reenter Indonesia as many times as needed during the validity of the permit. For ITAS holders, the permit can be issued for 6 months or 1 year. For ITAP holders the permit can only be issued for 2 years (not less).

In other words, if you have an ITAS, you can only get a Multiple Exit Reentry Permit for the same length of time as the validity of the ITAS. The maximum time you can remain outside Indonesia (even on a 2-year IMK/MERP or lifetime ITAP), is one year.

It is advisable to always have a valid multiple re-entry permit stamped in your passport just in case of the need for an emergency departure, such as illness in a family member back home or a medical emergency for a member of your family in Jakarta or the need to escape an situation of civil unrest (as occurred in 1998).

The fees concerning exit/re-entry permit, as indicated in PP 45 tahun 2016 as follows:

It normally takes 2-3 working days to process your Exit/Re-entry Permit. To apply you'll need:

Forms and folder should be free.

IMK (MERP) expiring while you're out of the country?

Be aware that If the permit is going to expire while you are out of the country, you may lose your ITAS /ITAP if you don't take action. You would then have to go to an Indonesian embassy to apply for a new visa all over again (not another exit/re-entry permit).

We have in the past understood that you cannot apply for an extension to your exit permit from abroad. However, consular offices abroad (in both embassies and consulates) may only be able to assist you if you can provide the following, and IF they receive the approval from the Directorate General of Immigration in Jakarta:

If at all possible, it would still be advisable to handle the renewal/extension in Indonesia before you leave the country as it would be much easier to accomplish.

This article gives updated information for applying for ITAS, ITAP, IMK from abroad.


IMK/MERP for Visit Visa Holders?

You can only apply for a re-entry permit when you are in Indonesian on the limited stay visa. Foreign persons in Indonesia on a VOA or visit visa can not leave the country and re-enter on the original visa. They must obtain a new visa upon re-entry.

Letter of Guarantee - Surat Permintaan dan Jaminan

Should contain this information: name, place of birth, date of birth, profession, income, nationality, KTP, address of your sponsor, your name, nationality, passport number, relationship with the sponsor, date, signature of the sponsor, and meterai (tax duty stamp).

Sample letter - to guarantee you will cover the living costs of the person you are sponsoring.

Sample Letter to request an Multiple Exit-Reentry Permit

Final Departure or EPO (Exit Permit Only) - Return of Immigration Documents

When you are reading to leave Indonesia for good you will need to turn in your ITAS and obtain an 'exit only' permit from the immigration office.

Around 10 days before you leave Indonesia, go to your immigration office and ask them when to apply for the ITAS cancellation (previously called EPO/Exit Only Permit - now they just stamp your passport with the words Return of Immigration Documents). They give you 7 days to leave the country after the "Immigration Documents Returned" stamp has been put in your passport, but confirm that date when you received your stamped passport, to be certain you schedule your flight in time.

After getting the stamp in your passport, a photocopy of the stamped page may needed to apply for cancellation of your Work Permit. You must turn in the original documents to the department that issued the various permits.

Because requirements change frequently, be sure and ask the immigration official if there are any other necessary procedures to leave in good order.


Registering the Birth of a Child

All changes to "civil status" must be reported to the proper authorities during your residence in Indonesia - marriage, divorce, birth, death.

Relevant regulation:

UU no.6 , Year 2011 (Immigration Law)
Article 71
Each foreigner (holding an e-ITAS/KITAS/KITAP) residing in the Territory of Indonesia shall:
a. provide all necessary information regarding his/her identity and / or of his/her familiy, and report any changes in civil status, nationality, occupation, guarantor, or a change of address to the local Immigration Office; or
b. ...

Article 116
Each foreigner who do not perform his/her obligations as stipulated in Article 71 shall be punished with a maximum confinement of 3 (three) months or a fine of up to 25,000,000, 00 (twenty five million rupiah).

Petunjuk Pelaksanaan no. IMI-GR 01.13.3849 , Tahun 2016 (Implementation Guidelines)
Article 3
(1) ...
(2) A foreigner or his/her sponsor must (formally) inform Immigration within 60 days of any change in his/her : marriage , divorce , child birth , or family member death.

For foreigners who give birth in Indonesia, it will be necessary to get a local birth certificate before a foreign passport can be issued for your baby. Then, you will need to apply for a limited stay permit (ITAS visa for your baby, if both of the parents are foreigners, which will follow the visa of the working spouse.

You will have to first get a Surat Keterangan Kelahiran from the hospital where the mother gave birth. With this document you go to Catatan Sipil (Civil Registry office to obtain the formal birth Certificate (Akte Kelahiran). Though you have 60 days to report the birth to the Catatan Sipil office (Pasal 27 undang undang 23 tahun 2006 tentang Administrasi Kependudukan), you have ONLY 15 days to do so to the immigration office (Kantor Imigrasi).

If the mother or the father is Indonesian, and the baby is born after August 1st 2006, the baby is automatically an Indonesian citizen. However, you will still have to report the birth to the Kantor Imigrasi, even though the baby is Indonesian (as per law 12/2006 about Citizenship For more information.

Pajak Fiskal - Fiscal Tax

Indonesian residents, including expatriates, are no longer be required to pay fiscal tax each time they depart the country nor produce their tax ID card to receive an exemption. Read the Government Letter explaining this decision

Airport Tax

The amount of the airport tax depends on the airport you are flying from and whether your flight is domestic or international. You pay this tax at the airport prior to departure costs are as follows:

Domestic (Rp)
International (Rp)
I Gusti Ngurah Rai Bali - Denpasar
Juanda Airport Surabaya - Surabaya, East Java
Sultan Iskandarmuda International Airport (Blang Bintang Airport) - Banda Aceh
Halim Perdanakusuma International Airport - Jakarta
Sepinggan Balikpapan - Balikpapan
Pattimura - Ambon
Frans Kaisiepo Airport - Biak, Papua
Hang Nadim Airport - Batam
Adisucipto International Airport - Yogyakarta
Lombok Praya
Sam Ratulangi Airport - Manado, North Sulawesi
Kuala Namu International Airport - Medan, North Sumatera
Adisumarmo International Airport - Solo, Central Jsva
Timika Airport - Tembagapura, Papua
Sultan Hasanuddin - Ujung Pandang
Husein Sastranegara International Airport - Bandung
Minangkabau International Airport - Padang, West Sumatra
Sultan Syarif Kasim II International Airport - Pekanbaru, Riau
Sultan Mahmud Badaruddin II International Airport - Palembang, South Sumatra
Supadio Airport - Pontianak, West Kalimantan
El Tari Airport - Kupang, East Nusa Tenggara
Raja Haji Fisabilillah Airport - Tanjung Pinang, Riau

Some rates above may not be current!


STM, SKJ, SKCK - Police Documents

In the past, expatriates holding an ITAS card had to register with the National Police within 30 days of issuance of their Stay Permit. That registration resulted in getting STM documents.

STM: While it is no longer mandatory for newly arrived foreigners to report to the local police and obtain a Surat Tanda Melapor (STM) for all expat residents, it may be required for other documentation. For example, applying for an SKTT or KPT WNA.

The STM is a sheet of paper which shows that you reported to the nearest Police office within 24 hours of arrival in Indonesia.

To obtain the STM, go to the resort police department in the area where the foreign expatriate and their family members are living in Indonesia. With the application you will be asked for a Photocopy of your passport, Photocopy of your ITAS/ITAP and other documents.

SKJ: Surat Keterangan Jalan Orang Asing - If the working expatriate will be traveling for work outside of Jakarta, or if they reside/live outside of Jakarta, then an SKJ/Traveling permit from the Police Dept will be required. The SKJ is valid for 2 months and is renewable as needed. The document can be applied for at the Police Station by the sponsor, before the expat travels.

SKCK - Police Letter/Certificate of Good Conduct from Police

If you are applying for a visa in another country after your stay in Indonesia, they may ask you to include a Police Document from Indonesia which establishes an expatriate's lack of criminal record during their stay.

You can obtain this "Certificate of Good Conduct" from the Indonesian Police Department - Indonesian Police Certificates. To find out more about how to obtain that, visit the Certificate of Good Conduct: Indonesian Police Certificate - Surat Keterangan Catatan Kepolisian page.

SKLD: Foreigners no longer have to obtain the SKLD police document. The official announcement from Mabes Polri/the Central Police Dept. SPRIN/2471/XII/2013 tgl. 23 December Tentang Penghentian Surat Keterangan Lapor Diri . This applies in all regions of the country. Here is a copy of the SKLD Announcement (in Bahasa Indonesia) - print it out and take it with you to show to any government official that asks you to show them your Surat Keterangan Lapor Diri.

Registration with the Civil Registry Office - e-KTP WNA & NIK

The KTP or Karta Tanda Penduduk is the ID card that is held by all Indonesians. Article 63 paragraph (1) of Law Number 24 of 2013 stipulates that Indonesian citizens and foreign citizens who have Permanent Residence Permits aged 17 years old or who have married or was once married are required to register at the Dinas Pendudukan in the Civil Registry office in order to get a eKTP WNA. (Karta Tanda Penduduk Warga Negara Asing/Foreigner's ID card). Process is quick, easy and free - but very important.

NIK stands for Nomor Induk Kependudukan (Population number) and is found on the KTP WNA for KITAP holders or on the SKTT for e-ITAS holders. The 16 digit code reflects where the NIK was registered, and the person's date of birth.

What is required for the registration?

Advantages of having a e-KTP Warga Negara Asing


Report your Resident Status to your local RT

Although there is no document required, once you have established yourself in your place of residence you must report your presence to the local Neighborhood Head, the Rukun Tetangga; RT (pronounced err-tay). You will undoubtedly have contact with him in the future regarding various community matters, such as garbage collection and security, so it is important that he knows you have moved into the community.

Expat Registration

The Indonesian government periodically announces a new regulation wherein all expatriates resident in Indonesia must register with the Immigration Department for an Expatriate Registration number. This is billed as a routine registration of all foreigners living in Indonesia. The last time this registration were held was in 2001 and 1986, though an immigration official told us that there is a regulation that says it must be done every five years. When asked why we need to register when we already have a visa ... the immigration official said that “sometimes foreigners go home and don't tell us ... so this is the only way we can know how many foreigners really live in Indonesia.” He stipulated that the information went to the central immigration office (kantor pusat).

If the registration is required again, take your original passport, ITAS /ITAP, and two 3 X 4 cm photos to the immigration office that issued your visa ... and fill out their form in duplicate. No need to bring photocopies of anything - just the originals. The whole procedure takes about 15 minutes and is free. For more information

You may get a letter from your local kecamatan (district office) or RT (neighborhood chief) asking you to register ... this is for the same thing as the immigration's expat registration.


SKTT - Residence/Domicile Permit

The Surat Keterangan Tempat Tinggal Orang Asing (SKTT) is a Civil Registry-issued domicile permit and is mandatory for foreigners recently arriving in Indonesia who will hold a semi-permanent resident visa (eITAS). The document is issued by the Civil & Population Department (Suku Dinas Kependudukan) for the province that you live in.

The Human Resources department in the working spouse's office should apply and obtain this document for you.

For foreigners living in Jakarta areas, right now the SKTT application is filed online. Different provinces may have different application procedures, but more are moving to online applications to reduce personal contact due to COVID-19. Check with the Catatan Sipil office in the province you live in to find out how to apply.

The SKTT for eITAS holders also contains your NIK (Nomor Induk Kependudukan) which can also be found on your eKTP WNA. This number is required to get a COVID vaccine.

Sample SKTT letter

To apply for the SKTT, prepare:

If you own a car in Indonesia, the SKTT or Domicile Permit will be required to renew documents and in the past you've needed it to get a drivers license and renew your car's ownership documents. When in doubt of what documents are required, check with your company's human resources department to be sure that they've obtained all the required documents for you!

Foreign Individuals who have obtained a work permit and an e-ITAS are considered residents, just as citizens are.

SKPRK - Surat Keterangan Penelitian Registrasi Kependudukan - NOTE: This document is NO LONGER REQUIRED/ISSUED

SKPPS - Surat Keterangan Pendaftaran Penduduk Sementara (Certificate of Registration for Temporary Resident) - NOTE: This document is NO LONGER REQUIRED/ISSUED

Kartu Keluarga Warga Negara Asing

Foreigners holding an ITAP visa (Permanent Resident) are able to obtain a Kartu Keluarga WNA (family card for foreigners), model number OS-01B. This Kartu Keluarga enables you to apply for a KTP Warga Negara Asing (Foreigners ID card). With an eKTP WNA, you can apply for a 5-year driver’s license.

See more information about the importance of Kartu Keluarga for families of mixed Indonesian-foreign marriages.

Drivers License and Vehicle Registration

Please refer to Making a Driver's License for information on these documents.

Agents/Biro Jasa

There are a plethora of agents which can assist you in obtaining your documentation. They range from scam artists to small time operators who have a cousin who works for immigration to legitimate businesses. Be extremely wary of the claims of an agent who doesn't come highly recommended from friends or colleagues. Look at the classified listings in the Jakarta Post for names of agents. Tell them you are shopping around to compare prices and that should bring their prices way down.

The danger is not only that the agent will charge you an excessive amount for his assistance, but that he will complete the documentation incorrectly. This could, needless to say, cause you numerous difficulties in the future. The best bet is to use an agent that has given good service at reasonable rates to your friends and colleagues. Remember, something that sounds too good to be true is usually just that.

A new class of professional Document Services has arisen in recent years which gives an entirely different class of service that the average calo; or broker. Again, let the experience of others be your guide to a wise choice.

For information on visas and documentation required for them, call the South Jakarta Immigration office at 021-522-4658 ext 2203 or 2200. Hours: 8:00am to 4:00pm. Closed for lunch hour 12:00-1:00.

Additional information:

For information on ... Indonesian Individual Incomes Taxes

Carrying Original Documents - or Photocopies?

In order to avoid the risk of loss or theft of the original copy of your Passport, ITAP or ITAS card, or other important documents, and the resulting hassles to replace them, many expatriates keep the original at their home/office in a secure place and carry only a photocopy of the most important identity documents.

Be aware that you may be asked to produce documents by police/other officials. This is the law that governs this is Article 71 of the Immigration Law:

Setiap Orang Asing yang berada di Wilayah Indonesia wajib: a. memberikan segala keterangan yang diperlukan mengenai identitas diri dan/atau keluarganya serta melaporkan setiap perubahan status sipil, kewarganegaraan, pekerjaan, Penjamin, atau perubahan alamatnya kepada Kantor Imigrasi setempat; atau b. memperlihatkan dan menyerahkan Dokumen Perjalanan atau Izin Tinggal yang dimilikinya apabila diminta oleh Pejabat Imigrasi yang bertugas dalam rangka pengawasan Keimigrasian.

We advise that you keep copies of all your relevant immigration documents at both your office and home, just in case you are caught in an occasional 'sweeping' check of expat documents. These are relatively routine operations that are conducted periodically and are not necessarily an effort to harass or otherwise inconvenience the foreign community. They are usually checking for people who are here illegally. If you are here legally and your papers are complete and up-to-date, you have nothing to fear.

Do be careful, however, about bogus officials wanting to check your documents. You should always ask for a 'surat tugas' which is the letter from their office detailing what they are allowed to do in the field. If they don't have a surat tugas ... it would be wise to not show them anything! Ask them to return once they have the surat tugas. Or, refer them to the working spouse's office for any further needed information on documentation.

And by no means pay any bribes to these officials. It would only ensure their repeated return to your place of residence, or encourage them to prey on other unsuspecting foreigners. Again, if you are here legally and have the documents to prove it, there is nothing to fear. If you are approached or threatened by suspicious persons, try to get their names, affiliations and contact numbers.

Change of Address / Ganti Alamat

As a sponsor of your foreign spouse, if you need a letter template for a change of address report to Indonesian civil authorities, here are several that were shared by a C-4 member. Adjust to fix your needs and affix a meterai to the letter and sign over the meterai:

Letter to request change of address - to whom it may concern
Letter to RT/RW/Lurah
Letter to Civil Registry/Catatan Sipil
Letter to Immigration Guaranteeing expenses for sponsored foreigner


letter of guarantee - surat-pernyataan-jaminan-sponsor_bermaterai_immigrasi.docx

Mini Glossary

VITAS - Temporary Stay Permit Visa (Visa Izin Tinggal Terbatas)
ITAS = Izin Tinggal Terbatas (Temporary Stay Permit). This is the immigration status/permit by itself. It is materialized by the stamp in your passport that the immigration offices stamps into your passport every year.
eITAS - Eletronic version of the former card that was issued as your Temporary Stay Permit
KITAS = Kartu Izin Tinggal Terbatas (Temporary Stay Permit Card). This is the yellow card that Immigration will give you after the ITAS has been granted.
ITAP = Izin Tinggal Tetap (Permanent Stay Permit). This is the immigration status/permit by itself. It is evident by the stamp that the immigration office stamps into your passport.
KITAP = Kartu Izin Tinggal Terbatas (Permanent Stay Permit Card). This is the blue card that immigration will give you after the ITAP has been granted.
RPTKA - Expatriate Placement Plan
TKA - Tenaga Kerja Asing - foreign worker
DPKK - Dana Pengembangan Keahlian dan Keterampilan - Skill & Development Fund Fee
IMTA = Izin Mempekerjakan Tenaga Kerja Asing = Work Permit for foreigner
Kementerian Tenaga Kerja - Ministry of Manpower
Kantor Imigrasi - Immigration office
DitJen Imigrasi - Directorate General of Immigration
Kementerian Hukum dan Hak Asasi Manusia - Ministry of Justice and Human Rights
WNI - Indonesian Citizen - warga negara Indonesia
WNA - Foreign Citizen - warga negara asing

Our thanks to Ratna Agustina of Rami Formality Services, Marilyn Ardipradja, and other community members for all their help with updates on this page!


New updates October 14, 2021